The population determines the number of beer & wine, 5% tavern and original package liquor licenses available. All liquor license applications must be approved by City Council at a council meeting.
As of August 2007, the status for licenses available is as follows:
5% Beer & Wine Package: $35.00
Original Package: $85.00
Resort License: $450.00
Sunday Sales Permit: $200.00 in addition to the above fee
Generally, the requirements for a license are as follows:
1) Coin operated dispensing machines are prohibited
2) Applicant cannot have been revoked as a liquor dealer or who has been convicted since the ratification of the twenty-first amendment to the Constitution of the Untied States of a violation of the provisions of any law applicable to the manufacture or sale of intoxicating liquor, or who employs in his business, as a liquor dealer or licensee, any person whose license has been revoked or who has been convicted of violating the provisions of such law since the date established.
3) Applicant must be citizen native or naturalized
4) Separate license for each place required
5) State liqour license is also required
6) Term for license is one year July 1 through June 30
7) Owner shall keep license posted in the place of business in the room where alcohol is sold
8) Sales to be made on licensed premises only obstruction of view of premises prohibited
9) Original package purchase not to be consumed on the premises where sold
10) Minors cannot be employed for handling alcohol sales
11) License is for approved location only if the business moves, a new application must be filed
12) Sales cannot be made within 300' of a church or school
13) Provisions are made for manufacture of alcoholic beverages See Division 2 Sec. 4-100 of City Code. Copies of City Code are available at the public library or City Hall.
By ordinance, sale of alcohol is prohibited between the following hours:
Monday through Saturday 1:30 a.m. to 6:30 a.m.
Sunday all day - unless the establishment has a valid Sunday Sales Permit. However, even with a permit, sales are still prohibited between 12:00 midnight and 11:00 a.m.
For complete details of the liquor requirements, see the City Code, Chapter 4. This is available at City Hall and the Public Library. Or, call City Clerk Mallory Prewett at 417-256-7176 and we will mail you a copy.